MCSS provides its members with access to resources, organizations, teaching professionals, creative ideas, and networking opportunities. As a non-profit, we strive to keep annual fees as low as possible. Some of our benefits include…
Lesson Plans and Resources for K through Graduate
- MCSS serves as a premier professional organization for social studies teachers in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Our membership encompasses K through graduate school level, meaning you are not restricted to K through 12 membership levels.
- MCSS serves as a clearinghouse of information for instructors of history, political science, geography and the behavioral sciences.
Professional Development & Networking
- Northeast Regional Conference on the Social Studies (NERC) MCSS organizes and manages this high-level, professional development venue available to social studies teachers in the northeast region of the U.S.
- NERC includes day-long workshops, two hour clinics and one hour sessions are held over three days in April in centrally located Sturbridge, MA.
A Voice with Board of Education
- The Mass Council advocates for social studies teachers before the Board of Primary and Secondary Education in the state.
- They have been up front and vocal about the role of social studies in the curriculums of the state schools.
- Members of the Mass Council were active participants in preparing various renditions of the Social Studies Framework. Members were also instrumental on the committee that vetted MCAS test questions, had a seat at the table on the committee that drafted the new evaluation tool, and currently have 5 current members on the Special Commission on Civic Engagement and Learning, as established by the State Senate.
Help Us to Help You
The Mass Council is funded entirely by profits earned from the Northeast Regional Conference on the Social Studies and dues paid by members. Consequently, by joining Mass Council, your yearly dues help to support this organization in its efforts to lobby on your behalf. In addition to the lesson ideas and depth of knowledge learned by participating in the NERC conference, your registration helps to defray the cost of running the organization.