The Massachusetts Council for the Social Studies is the state affiliate of the National Council for the Social Studies and an associate of the New England History Teachers Association.
The purposes of MCSS are to:
- Provide a professional organization for educators involved in teaching any of the wide range of subject areas included in the definition of social studies.
- Provide professional development for social studies educators.
- Serve as a liaison with the state agencies charged with setting and assessing the curriculum standards for social studies and providing the oversight of social studies education.
- Promote the maintenance and expansion of the social studies at all levels of education from pre-K through university.
- Encourage students to excel in the social studies by promoting Massachusetts History Day and by providing Opus Bono, the state social studies honor society.
- Encourage and assist in the development of new social studies educators.